Letting you know where hazardous substances may be found
You are likely to find hazardous substances such as asbestos, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PACs) or heavy metals in buildings constructed before 1990.
Generally speaking, these substances do not pose a health risk during ordinary use of the building. However, human health may be endangered if dismantling works are not carried out correctly. You are therefore duty bound to carry out a hazardous substance risk assessment before undertaking renovation or demolition works.
We provide comprehensive advice and guidance on building contaminants and when deciding when to perform certain investigations and when it is necessary to carry out decontamination. Our lawyers are available to advise you on legal issues relating to asbestos and other hazardous substances.
- Compiling reports on building contaminants (screening, building checks, pre-remediation investigations)
- Drawing up project-specific decontamination plans for construction waste having regard to building contaminants (in accordance with the requirements of article 16 of the Ordinance on the Avoidance and the Disposal of Waste (ADWO)
- Assistance when planning and carrying out asbestos decontamination work (specialist planning and construction management)
- Implementing “independent monitoring” of building contaminants during renovation or demolition works in the Canton of Zurich
- Determining the action required, providing clarity in questions of liability, assessing legal duties under public law, advising in respect of warranty claims in purchase agreements
Asbestos survey of Wincasa apartments
The management of the Wincasa project regularly consulted us as part of its rental property management services.
Construction project at MIC, expertise in existing elements
An ambitious construction project of an eco-district is in the process of being carried out on the old paper mill site in Marly.
Geriatric Clinic, St. Gallen,Building inspection with subsequent planning and project management
Between 2017 and 2019, the geriatric clinic underwent renovation and refurbishment. As part of the construction project, a section of the building was demolished in order to extend the building.
Glatt Tower, Wallisellen, Remediation planning and management of asbestos removal project
The high-rise office building at the Glatt Centre in Wallisellen was renovated and refurbished in stages. In the course of the contamination investigation, various construction materials containing asbestos and PAH were identified and remediated prior to the renovation work.